3/30/12

Spring has sprung!

Yesterday was our last day off EVER in Japan. It is both a relief (because we'll be in the US soon) but also a little heartbreaking. It is a beautiful, charming country that I have come to adore. Its culture, its customs, and most of all its people. And, of course, the cherry blossoms. Oh boy. This has been a dream of mine since before I found out the tour would be going to Japan, and last year I missed it due to the earthquake and our consequential trip to Michigan. Yesterday, we spent the entire day (after watching the Red Wings, of course!) walking around Ohori Park and Fukuoka Castle Ruins.
Please for give me for posting so many pictures. I am enamored with how romantic and beautiful the little pink sakura flowers are. They are just beginning to bloom, and I'm sorry to say we'll miss the full bloom, but I definitely got my fill of the glorious blossoms.
We started at Fukuoka Castle, walking toward Ohori Park.




































If you click on this picture, you can see yellow pollen on her cute nose!
























That's Fukuoka Tower in the background.












Fukuoka Castle Ruins






























Lanterns that local children painted.












This one was Sophie's favorite (this week, anyway!)























































































































































At Ohori, we stopped for the compulsory frappuccino at the park Starbucks. I had an orange brûlée one, a kind they don't have in the US. We walked around some more, regarded the (2000 at least) amazingly cute long-haired dachshunds, and Jim and Sophie wanted to go on the swan boats.













Sorry, Sophie!









































































Afterwards, we dined at the restaurant on the lake in the park and walked around some more. The sun was setting soon, so we decided to go back through the castle ruins, past the cherry blossom garden. Once dusk arrived, the lanterns were lit up as were the trees by the entrance.

This picture was graciously taken by an English-speaking man, before hearing Sophie proclaim "He has a big tummy!" Oh boy!












The many submarines -- I mean, koi.
























Notice the sunset in the background. Jim takes nice pictures!














































































The lanterns lit up.












The blossom trees were lit as well.
























Overall, it was a beautiful day filled with many wonderful memories that will last a lifetime! I can cross that off my bucket list!

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous day! I can't think of anyone with whom I'd have been happier spending it!

    ReplyDelete